This recipe is for Eggplant Caponata. I adapted it from a Mario Batali recipe to reduce the sodium and fat. I also changed the cooking process, employing a slow cooker. I am serving it with grilled chicken
3 Tablespoons EVOO
1 Large Onion- Chopped
Three Tablespoons Dried Currants
2 Small or one Large Eggplant - Chopped
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Baking Cocoa
1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme (or 2 Teaspoons Fresh Chopped)
1 Cup Low Sodium Tomato Sauce (Fresh or Canned)
1/3 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Flat Leaf Parsley - Chopped
1. Saute onion and currants in EVOO over medium heat for 5 minutes (add garlic after 3 minutes or it will burn).
2. Add eggplant, sugar, Cinnamon and coca and cook another 5 minutes stirring frequently or as much as you children will allow you to.
3. Transfer to slow cooker and add tomato sauce, thyme and Balsamic Vinegar.
4. Cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until eggplant absorbs liquid.
5. Serve with Flat Leaf Parsley on top.